Stock & Mutual Funds
Giving appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy way for you to make a charitable donation with considerable potential benefits. Not only will it increase your capacity to be philanthropic, but you'll receive tax savings on your donations as well.
What are the benefits of giving securities?
Donating securities that have increase in value is a tax-savvy plan and helps support our community. Gifts of appreciated securities that you have held for longer than 12 months offer a two-fold tax savings:
How does it work?
- Download and complete the following form: Notification for Donation of Appreciated Stock. Submit the form to your broker with instructions to electronically transfer the securities to the Weinstein Jewish Community Center (WJCC).
- The gift is considered completed on the date the securities are transferred and received into the account of the WJCC.
- You may receive an income tax-deduction for the full fair market value of the securities on the date the gift of securities is complete.
- The fair market value, for tax purposes, is the average of the high and low trading prices of the securities on the date the transaction is complete.
- Gift securities may be deductible up to 30% of your adjusted income. Excess deductible amounts may be carried forward for five years.